Church of Hagia Sophia
The Hagia Sophia is one of the oldest churches in the city still standing today. It is one of several monuments in Thessaloniki included as a World Heritage Site on the UNESCO list.
Rotunda of St. George
The Rotunda of St. George is located just north of the junction of the two main axes of the city where the Arch of Galerius can be found. As one of the oldest monuments in Thessaloniki, its sixteen centuries of its existence, as pagan monument, Christian church and Muslim house of worship, have left their traces on it. It is now one of the 15 Paleochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki that were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988.
Church of Saint Catherine
The Church of Saint Catherine is a late Byzantine church in the northwestern corner of the Ano Poli (also called Old Town and literally the Upper Town) of Thessaloniki, Greece. The church dates to the Palaiologan period, but its exact dating and original dedication are unknown. From its interior decoration, which survives in fragments and is dated to ca.
(Kastra) Walls of Thessaloniki
The imposing late 4th century AD fortifications of Thessaloniki incorporated the earlier defense wall dating from the middle of the 3rd century AD, which it used as a buttress. This latter wall had been built hastily, using earlier architectural material, to protect the city from the raids of the Goths.
Church of Panagia Chalkeon
Located south of the ancient agora of Thessaloniki, towards the center of the old city, is the Church of Panagia Chalkeon, an 11th century church. It is one of the 15 Paleochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki that were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988.
Located inside the Akropolis of Thessaloniki, Heptapyrgion was built by the Byzantines during the Paleologian Dynasty (14th century AD). It was constructed over an older citadel possibly dated back to the 9th century AD.
In the northeastern part of Ano Polis of Thessaloniki on Eptapyrgiou Street, in rocky and steep terrain, there is built the monastery of Vlatadon the only one of the numerous Byzantine monasteries of the city that has survived until today, still even in use
Church of Prophitis Ilias
The Church of Prophet Elijah is a 14th-century church in Thessaloniki, Greece, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.The church is located in the upper quarter of the old city, and dates to the Palaiologan period, but its original dedication is unknown.
The church of “Saint Nicholas the Orphan” dates back to the Byzantine period and it is well known for its frescoes that were painted by a Serbian monk during the same period the church was built . These frescoes are kept in very good condition which is very rare compared to frescoes that were found in other monuments of Thessaloniki from the same period.
The Byzantine bath (loutra) is located in the Upper Town of Thessaloniki near the Palaiologan Church of Taxiarches and a Byzantine cistern. It is one of the 15 Paleochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki that were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988. The recently restored bath of Thessaloniki is a rare example of a bath surviving from the Byzantine era and also shows Byzantine influence on Ottoman hamams.
Church of the Holy Apostles
The Church of the Holy Apostles rises on the south side at the beginning of Ayiou Dimitriou Street, which coincides with the site of the Letaia Gate. Once the katholikon of a monastery, it owes its modern name to the popular belief that the church was once roofed with twelve domes symbolizing the apostles.
Latomou Monastery (Osios David)
The Church of Osios David also referred to as the Latomou Monastery is a late 5th-century church in Thessaloniki, Greece. In Byzantine times, it functioned as the katholikon of the Latomos Monastery and received a rich mosaic and fresco decoration, which was renewed in the 12th–14th centuries. The surviving examples are of high artistic quality. Under Ottoman rule, the building was converted into a mosque until it was reconsecrated as a Greek Orthodox church , receiving its present name.
Trigonion or Alysseos Tower
At the north end of the east wall is the Chain Tower. In the 15th century this tower replaced the Byzantine Trigonion Tower, which was incorporated in its structure; before the eighteenth century, it was used as a gunpowder magazine and arsenal.
Church of Saint Panteleimon
The church lies in the eastern part of the old city, near the Rotunda, at the junction of Iasonidou and Arrianou streets. Its current dedication to Saint Panteleimon was given to the church after the end of Ottoman rule in 1912, and its original dedication is therefore disputed. In Ottoman times, it was converted into a mosque
Church of Saint Demetrius
Agios Dimitrios is arguably considered the most important church of Thessaloniki by the majority of the locals for religious, historical and artistic reasons as well.
Devoted to the patron Saint of the city, it has a long and rich history that pretty much depicts some of the city's most important events of that shaped its identity.
Church of Panagia Acheiropoietos
The Church of Panagia Acheiropoietos is one of the oldest churches in Thessaloniki, dating back to the 5th century. The existence of a monumental porch on the south side of the church indicates that it was linked with the most important artery in the ancient city, the Leophoras, now Egnatia Street. It is one of the 15 Paleochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki that were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988.
Church of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros
At the junction of Egnatias Street and Paleon Patron Germanou Street lies the small church dedicated to the Saviour. It was built in 1340, possibly as a sepulchral chapel to a Byzantine monastery, and was originally dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was a tetraconch inscribed in a square plan. The western conch was demolished in 1936 in order to add a narthex. The mural decoration in its interior dates back to 1350-1370 and is part of the Palaeologan tradition.
Arch of Galerius
South of the Rotunda was the triumphal arch
(known today as “Kamara”), probably built between 298 and 305 A.D. to commemorate Galerius’ victorious campaign against the Persians. In its final form, the structure consisted of eight piers arranged in two parallel rows, four in each row. Today only three of the eight original piers are preserved.